Which type of event can be organized every year over the whole duration of this multiyear programme?
Lasting 5 days and gathering 50 to 90 participants, their aim is to give researchers in mathematical sciences the opportunity to present recent research results and to initiate future collaborative research projects.
The selection criteria are that a conference should have high scientific merit and be at the forefront of current developments. Interdisciplinarity is also important and conferences should have the highest quality leadership and attract international participation.
Lasting 5 days and gathering 50 to 90 participants (half of them students/ PhDs or Early career researchers), their aim is to give young researchers the opportunity to gather and meet more established researchers, discuss some of their recent results and initiate new collaborations.
Courses and lectures are usually presented by senior scientists. Younger participants present their findings either orally or through the use of posters. By gathering different generations from different areas, the aim of these events is to build bridges and cross-fertilize ideas.
For all events, CIRM insists on welcoming organizing teams and participants who are international, of all genders and with diverse experience (i.e a mixture of early career researchers and more mature researchers). During the proposal stage, CIRM's international scientific committee will check that at least one organizer comes from a foreign institution and that no team includes one gender only.
Type of information you will need to enter when describing your event each year
(*) CIRM expects organizers to actively open the event to a variety of speakers and participants, regardless of race, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, pregnancy, immigration status, or any other aspect of identity.
What are the other optional events that can be added to the programme?
Lasting 5 days, workshops (formerly called 'Small Groups') enable teams to specialize on one area in particular, or on a problem. They are also popular as a follow-up session after a former larger event or even with the view to celebrate a special event. Thanks to new facilities at CIRM, workshops can now gather up to 40 participants. CIRM is keen to develop Workshops that may be attended both by members of the public and the private sector, as well as by cross-disciplinary groups.
Type of information you will need to enter
General format of conferences, research schools and workshops at CIRM
- Duration: 5 days. Workshops can be shorter, while some conferences and schools can last two weeks. Do not hesitate to discuss this with the Event Coordinator.
- Events start on Monday morning around 9am and finish on Friday after lunch. Arrival of participants is from Sunday evening.
- Accommodation available from Sunday evening to Friday - with the possibility of sleeping/dinner on Friday evening for participants who so wish, usually at their own expense.
- A detailed timetable should be submitted by the organizers preferably several weeks/months before the start of the event in order to be posted online on the dedicated mini-website.
- Most of the events provide a free afternoon to enjoy the excellent environment of the "calanques" (coves) and of Marseille . This is often planned on a Wednesday but can be modified. The restaurant can provide take away picnics.
- Thursday night is the traditional gala dinner with the 'bouillabaisse' meal, a Marseille delicacy that should not be missed (if you like fish!).
- Please note that CIRM organizes weekly events of different sizes and that you may have to share the occupation of the centre with other small or large workshops, research schools or conferences etc. Accommodation is therefore shared between the various events.
- Organizing teams are encouraged to communicate about their event and to make use of the bilingual mini-site prepared by CIRM, which gathers all details, enables scientific pre-registrations and the booking of accommodation, can host posters, photos, videos etc.
- A week's full board at CIRM costs about 540 euros per participant (Friday night not included).
Contact: +33 (0)4 91 83 30 03
Fax: +33 (0)4 91 41 27 86